A Day In The Life: Part I

Hello to all of you wonderful people 🙂

I’ve recently filmed a short video entitled ‘Expedition 196: A Day In The Life (in between student/leader meetings)’. Nothing too serious, but I’d like you all to know what goes on over the course of this Expedition, in a day, during the times when I’m not meeting with students/leaders. Many friends, family and strangers have brought it to my attention that it seems like I’m “on a vacation”. And I must agree, if I saw a girl doing what I was doing and seeing all the cool things she posted, I’d think it was a “vacation” as well. So, I’d like to address this misconception.

When I post to social media, I like to do so in a positive manner, and try to avoid sharing the difficulties that arise on this trip. We experience enough negativity in our daily lives, and my goal was to be that outlet people can gravitate to that will take them to a happy place throughout their day.

Everyone experiences hard days and harder days related to work, life and relationships. The thing is, on this Expedition I am facing these difficulties alone, which is okay, but it makes managing tasks at times extremely taxing and stressful. I’m putting my all into this and am trying my best, and I can only hope that you all can respect that. This is a three year project, so there won’t be immediate results… the outcome is going to be vast and amazing, but evidently, the epic result that I am working towards is not going to be clear until 3 years from now.

Until then, I’m working on ensuring a successful Mission; meeting with students in upwards of 80 countries, planting trees to offset my carbon footprint, promoting peace through tourism, and going for the record in between.

Though what happens in my typical day on this trip might differ greatly in some aspects to what happens in your typical day, it’s generally the same. My “drive” to work is on a bus, plane, train or boat. When I arrive, I “clock-in” (to my hotel/hostel) and get right to work for about 4 hours. Then it’s time for “field work”, where I film for the documentary, this takes about 2-3 hours. In between, I stop for lunch to post to social media and check some more e-mails. I’m then “driving” (again, bus/plane/train/boat) back to work where I’m on my computer for another 2-3 hours. I then go to bed and repeat the next day. Sometimes I’m on a bus or plane all day, but there are otherwise no days off.

I’ve developed this schedule for myself to ensure a successful project, and to live up to my sponsors, supporters, IIPT, Skal and students expectations of me. I’d like to say that I’ve crafted this Expedition in an organized manner, but it is a patience game, and I’ll be the first to admit that patience is not my strong suit. So, maybe I’m writing this to prove something to myself, but maybe you’ll get something out of it, too.

I promise you that while things seem to be going slow now, three years from now you’ll understand why. I would like you all to understand what goes into this specific Global Odyssey. If I wanted a vacation to “find myself” and “have fun”, I’d go back to a few years ago when I traveled for 2 years and did just that. But this trip has responsibilities that I need to cater to, and it’s not about me anymore.